In this video tutorial series, you can learn right along with me during my first week with Sprite Kit and Swift. Although, I’m quite comfortable behind the wheel with Sprite Kit, these videos were recorded over my first 5 days with Swift, so this series is a bit more off-the-cuff, experimental, and reveals some of my initial “ah-ha” moments with the language.
- Day 1 – Learn Swift and Sprite Kit – First impressions and basic properties.
- Day 2 – Learn Swift and Sprite Kit – We’ll look at some simple physics properties with SKSpriteNodes and custom classes.
- Day 3 – Learn Swift and Sprite Kit – We’ll discuss enum types, and how we could use them to change to different states of a game character or enemy. We’ll play around with changing SKTextures for each state.
- Day 3 – Learn Swift and Sprite Kit (Continued) – We will enumerate through all children in the scene during the update statement and react to touches.
- Day 4 – Learn Swift and Sprite Kit – We will initialize a subclass with a Dictionary, look at For loops, and experiment more with physics. All while building a simple repeated platform for a character to move across.
- Day 5 – Learn Sprite Kit and Swift – We will setup and SKPhysicsContactDelegate and play with detecting contacts and collisions between different type objects.
Total Series Length: 2 Hours 15 Minutes
Difficulty: Easy, we’re just playing around!